‘Don’t Regret the Bet’ Earns Top Honors with Platinum dotCOMM Award Operations
The Michigan Gaming Control Board (“MGCB”) in partnership with King Media, has earned a Platinum dotCOMM Award for Don’t Regret the Bet, the MGCB’s responsible gaming messaging campaign. This makes the second International Award for Don’t Regret the Bet. MGCB shared this recognition in a press release this week. The award is an international competition that honors excellence in web creativity and digital communication.
“We knew from the beginning of our partnership with King Media that we would be able to develop an effective, recognizable, and impactful responsible gaming messaging campaign. Winning two platinum-level international awards now, back-to-back within two months’ time, proves that ‘Don’t Regret the Bet’ is just the beginning of our climb and a shining example of what a successful integrated marketing campaign looks like. The MGCB staff is most appreciative of Coleen King and her talented staff for rolling up their sleeves and working alongside us on this endeavor to prevent Michiganders from developing a problem with gambling.” MGCB Executive Director Henry Williams said.
The MGCB’s Responsible Gaming Section was created as part of a new initiative to prevent problem gambling and remind Michiganders that any form of gambling is just for fun and entertainment. The goal of the Don’t Regret the Bet integrated marketing campaign, which launched in March 2023 and is supported by state-appropriated funds, is to prevent gambling problems before they start and reduce the number of people in Michigan who develop a serious gambling addiction. The MGCB and King Media have worked together developing ads about responsible gaming that are reaching Michiganders across the state on various platforms.
“We’ve enjoyed the spirit, energy and collaboration that’s gone into this important work for the MGCB. Our partnership has been about preventing problem gambling before it starts through education and awareness. When we’re able to lend our collective talents to do good in the world, great things happen. The work is getting attention — and more importantly, it is getting results. We are grateful for the opportunity to be creators of change in partnership with the MGCB’s Responsible Gaming Division.” Said Coleen King, president, and founder of King Media.
The dotCOMM awards are administered and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals — who evaluate entries based on quality, creativity, and resourcefulness — and highlight the roles of creatives whose work is deemed among the best in the industry.
Winners are selected from 241 categories for websites, videos, social media, paid media, owned media, earned media, and digital marketing and communication programs. The winner database of 2023 Platinum and Gold dotCOMM Award winners is listed on the dotCOMM website.
Michigan Internet Gaming, Sports Betting Operators Report $175.41 Million in August Revenue
As reported by the Michigan Gaming Control Board (“MGCB”), Michigan commercial and tribal internet casino gaming (“iGaming”) and sports betting operators reported a combined $175.4 million total gross receipts in August. August receipts decreased 0.4% when compared to last month’s results.
August iGaming gross receipts were $152.2 million. Gross sports betting receipts totaled $23.2 million. In July 2023, iGaming gross receipts were $153.6 million and gross sports betting receipts were $22.5 million.
Combined total adjusted gross receipts (“AGR”) of $153.1 million were reported for August, including $137.2 million from iGaming and $15.9 million for internet sports betting. Resulting in a 0.7% and 3.0% decrease, respectively, compared to July 2023. When compared to August 2022 an increase of 16.8% for iGaming AGR and 1.3% for sports betting.
Total internet sports betting handle was $218.5 million, increased 8.8% when compared with July 2023 results of $200.8 million.
The operators delivered $29.7 million in taxes and payments to the State of Michigan during August, with internet gaming taxes and fees contributing $28.6 million and internet sports betting taxes and fees contributing $1.1 million.
The three Detroit Casinos – MotorCity Casino, MGM Grand Detroit, and Greektown Casino – reported city wagering taxes and municipal service fees of $7.3 million, with internet gaming taxes and fees contributing $6.9 million and internet sports betting taxes and fees contributing $368,596 for the month of August.
Tribal operators reported making total payments of $3.6 million of wagering payments to the tribes’ governing bodies according to the MGCB.
An online gaming and sports betting revenue distribution table is available on the agency’s website.
During August, a total of 15 operators offered internet gaming and internet sports betting. On August 1, Odawa Casino ceased their offering of internet sports betting, reducing the number of internet sports betting operators to 14. Details for each operator’s internet gaming and internet sports betting results are available and published on the MGCB website.
2024 Emerging Leaders of Gaming 40 Under 40 Announced
The Innovation Group (“TIG”), organizers of the Emerging Leaders of Gaming (“ELG”) program, and Global Gaming Business magazine (“GGB”) have announced the honorees of the Emerging Leaders of Gaming 40 Under 40, a program that recognizes professionals under the age of 40 already making significant impacts in the casino gaming industry.
“It’s an honor to help identify and showcase the remarkable individuals driving our industry into the future,” said Michael Soll, president of The Innovation Group.
“The gaming industry will prosper and thrive because of the impact of young and talented people. The innovation and creativity they bring with them is truly the lifeblood of gaming. Our congratulations to all the honorees,” continued Roger Gros, publisher of Global Gaming Business magazine.
From professionals across commercial and tribal operations, to supplier-side innovators and professionals driving new industry segments, the latest class of honorees reflects a diverse cross-section of gaming and an industry in evolution.
Emerging Leaders of Gaming 40 Under 40 Class of 2024:
- Nimota Adebowale, Director of Casino Operations, Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
- Bahar Alaeddini, Partner, Harris Hagan
- Juliann Barreto, COO, Spectrum Gaming Group
- Stephanie Barrett, Senior Director Commercial Finance Gaming Ops / Game Sales, Aristocrat Gaming
- Crystal Beauchemin, Business Manager- Sports Wagering Division, Massachusetts Gaming Commission
- Holly Billy, Tribal Services Manager, BMM Testlabs
- Courtney Brack, Vice President, Gaming Operations, Everi
- Caroline Byne, Senior Account Executive, Konami Gaming
- Brooke Cartus, Vice President, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Seminole Hard Rock
- Davis Catlin, Managing Partner, Discerning Capital
- Lauren Cordeiro, Senior Director, Product Management, Light & Wonder
- Andy Dalugoda, Director Analytics, Bluberi Gaming
- Paolo Roberto De Leon, Senior Director, Online Casino Content, Caesars Digital
- Tomash Devenishek, CEO, Kero Sports
- Charles Dwaileebe, Director of Regulatory Compliance, Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland
- David Forbes, Cyber Security Manager, NJ Division of Gaming Enforcement
- Meghan Frye, Executive Director, NHBP Gaming Commission
- Katelyn Gehrke, Marketing and Communications Manager, JCM Global
- Samuel Gerrity, CEO, Saratoga Casino Holdings
- Leila Goelz, Chief People and Transformation Officer, Games Global
- Jose Gonzalez, Director of Compliance, Tuolumne Gaming Agency
- Qidan (Kiki) Guo, Vice President of Gaming Operations, Interblock Gaming
- Blake Hill, Vice President of FP&A, AGS LLC
- Christopher Jewett, Senior Vice President, Corporate Development, Bally’s Corporation
- Amy Jiang, Vice President, Velvix
- Blake Katsnelson, General Manager, Gila River Resorts & Casinos
- Anastasia Kokova, Group Kyiv Subsidiary Director, Playtech
- Mike Lei, Assistant Vice President of Slot Operations, MGM MACAU
- Jai Maw, Co-Founder & President, Betting Hero
- Nick Migliacci, Vice President, Revenue Management, Caesars Entertainment
- Oliver Musovski, Special Projects Manager, Ainsworth Game Technology
- Sara Panek, Vice President of Marketing, PENN Entertainment (via Hollywood St.
- Louis and River City Casino)
- Troy Pettie, Sales Engineering Director, Acres Manufacturing
- Jesse Robles, Executive Editor, Pechanga.net
- Kelly Trask, Director of Slot Performance & Strategy, SciPlay
- Ricardo Valdivia, Partner, Portilla, Ruy Diaz & Aguilar
- Danny Valoy, Vice President, Business Development & Acquisitions, VICI Properties
- Olia Wall, Legal Counsel, Eclipse Gaming Systems
- Joe Watkins, President, Worldpay Gaming Solutions
- Christopher Wood, Senior Interior Designer / Associate, HBG Design
The Class of 2024 will be celebrated during the Emerging Leaders of Gaming 40 Under 40 Networking Reception, in partnership with Global Gaming Expo, on Wednesday, October 11, from 4-5 pm in the G2E Networking Lounge (Booth #5649). This event is open to all registered G2E attendees.